(Belated) Happy New Year

stuartb@... stuartb@...
Mon Jan 14 23:28:24 CET 2019

There are three interesting categories - Sharing disdain with Peel, (which I didn't quite get that what you were looking for initially), hating his likes, and liking his hates!

 In the first category, well there are lots of easy ones there, but I suppose the most interesting are the ones that the mainstream might lump in with the sorts of artists that Peel would like and play, but didn't. I can't readily think of the surprising dislikes that I would think "me too". I couldn't for example bring myself to hate Patti Smith and Tom Waits for example, and there is a lot of stuff that he did play in the 1970s that I would have been less surprised at him hating.

 I didn't really get Gene either - not that I greatly disliked them but thought they were more a Lamacq/Wiley sort of band. There was the odd Farm track that I liked but wasn't a great fan, but bands like that I thought did belong to the category of "bands that Peel plays that I see as a bit mainstream but he must see something in them" which to me just adds to the overall experience. I can see the similarities with late Wah/Wylie and Farm which is maybe where he was coming from.

 My blind spots also include Culture, I much preferred Steel Pulse, Perry, Tubby and the Blood & Fire compilations/reissues. And while greatly liking a lot of the Happy Hardcore stuff, really disliked the Cuban Boys biggest hits!

 Finally, my tastes occasionally extended beyond what Peel would play, some of the more Tongy dance stuff for example, amd I don't remember him being bothered about Fluffy.

 But mostly these are the exceptions, and the Venn diagram of me and JP shows a big overlap!