Mark's 84 Show from a problematic cassette - Billy Bragg Session

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Fri Nov 23 18:53:18 CET 2012

I felt I had to advertise this great show from Mark, I have only just
discovered "Short commercial Break"
which is like Girls At Our Best  playing the  tunes to the TV adverts of
the time.

Wonderful in concept and execution - why was I not informed of their
existence before!

Anyway Mark Says......

The  last of a dying breed detailed here:
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Mark%27s_Mixtapes .

You may recall that I  once talked about a tape that was sticking: HERE
IT BE <http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/10%20Temp/>
fixed

I may be wrong  but it may have a portion of a BBragg session that is
new to the wiki  and has some great banter with the Kid and another to
add to the  competition page involving Peter Powell and a beard!
Here is a listing I did before  ...
Peely – Short Commercial Break – 84 & 82        Hissy at the
beginning – show on side a definitely 24/4/84. After track 1 you get
some banter with Rhythm Pal – Kid Jensen with a competition to win a
Peter Powell signed photo. Billy Bragg "King of the Bottleneck
Guitar"  is a personal favourite – and again he would not have
been the same without Peel. Also shared Peel's love of fast women
led bands –Short Commercial Break was just one of many in this fine
tradition – this was first broadcast in 82 as was the Pink Industry
session so the B side was recorded first two years before.
     Side A'llo   1984   del Amitri [session 24/4/84]   Bob Wills and
his Texas Playboys – Twin Guitar Special   Eek a Mouse – Gunshot
a cry   Billy Bragg – St Swithins Day [session #2]   Lovely link
with Peel showing his folk song writing skill! "I fancy myself as a
poet but I can never find anything to rhyme with champions"   The
Cramps – You've Got Good Taste   Johnny Bankcheck – The
Runaway  <http://www.snickarsrecords.com/label/Memo/Default.aspx>
Billy Bragg – Lovers Town  [session]   Billy Bragg – Myth of
Trust [session]   Billy Bragg – To Have and To Have Not  [session]
[incomplete]        Side B'llo   1982   The Ruts – Staring at
the Rudeboys   Tristan Palmer – Don't want to be a rudeboy.
"And there you were thinking these shows were just chucked together

"   Angels One 5 – Cut and Dried   Ex Post Facto – Oceanic
Explorers   Short Commercial Break – Smarties [16/11/82]   Chalice
– Can't Dub   Pink Industry – Holy Shit [16/11/82]   Cook da
Books – Rich Man Don't    Dennis Reed – All Around Her
"I think Dennis old sport youre going to have to do rather better
than that or put it another way I'll have to do rather better than
that. That's Dennis Reed at the wrong speed – a little poem for
you – poetry, found poetry how attractive that can be  – come on
get on with it - what's happened now – oh hang on I've
stopped it. There you go
"   Short Commercial Break – Yorkie
[16/11/82] incomplete   "A session, and I should say this that was
originally broadcast on "Walters Weekly""

Thanks Mark

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "billfromnorthwales"

<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/10%20Temp/peel84-\
\

<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/10%20Temp/Scan-12\
\
> 1120-0002.jpg>  .
>
> I hope it sounds as you remember it!
>
> I'll send the original cassette back soon.
>
> Bill
>

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@ wrote:
> >
> > so what happens - which black hole do these valiant folk fall in to?
> >
> > Bill - did you get my tape that needed doctoring?

Ritchie