Mark's 84 Show from a problematic cassette - Billy Bragg Session

Humphrey thebarguest@...
Fri Nov 23 21:00:44 CET 2012

Yeah, great listen, thanks Bill & Mark !
I've never been a Bragg fan ('Braggart'?) apart from that one about the road in Essex that was on a old (official) compilation tape but the other stuff, esp. the several Liverpool bands and reggie, is very sound ! And yes, the pisstaking office banter is weird and amusing !

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "billfromnorthwales" <billfromnorthwales@...> wrote:

> I felt I had to advertise this great show from Mark, I have only just
> discovered "Short commercial Break"
> which is like Girls At Our Best  playing the  tunes to the TV adverts of
> the time.
>
> Wonderful in concept and execution - why was I not informed of their
> existence before!
>
> Anyway Mark Says......
>

> The  last of a dying breed detailed here:
> http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Mark%27s_Mixtapes .
>
> You may recall that I  once talked about a tape that was sticking: HERE
> IT BE <http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/10%20Temp/>
> fixed
>
> I may be wrong  but it may have a portion of a BBragg session that is
> new to the wiki  and has some great banter with the Kid and another to
> add to the  competition page involving Peter Powell and a beard!
> Here is a listing I did before  ...
> Peely – Short Commercial Break – 84 & 82        Hissy at the
> beginning – show on side a definitely 24/4/84. After track 1 you get
> some banter with Rhythm Pal – Kid Jensen with a competition to win a
> Peter Powell signed photo. Billy Bragg "King of the Bottleneck
> Guitar"  is a personal favourite – and again he would not have
> been the same without Peel. Also shared Peel's love of fast women
> led bands –Short Commercial Break was just one of many in this fine
> tradition – this was first broadcast in 82 as was the Pink Industry
> session so the B side was recorded first two years before.
>      Side A'llo   1984   del Amitri [session 24/4/84]   Bob Wills and
> his Texas Playboys – Twin Guitar Special   Eek a Mouse – Gunshot
> a cry   Billy Bragg – St Swithins Day [session #2]   Lovely link
> with Peel showing his folk song writing skill! "I fancy myself as a
> poet but I can never find anything to rhyme with champions"   The
> Cramps – You've Got Good Taste   Johnny Bankcheck – The
> Runaway  <http://www.snickarsrecords.com/label/Memo/Default.aspx>
> Billy Bragg – Lovers Town  [session]   Billy Bragg – Myth of
> Trust [session]   Billy Bragg – To Have and To Have Not  [session]
> [incomplete]        Side B'llo   1982   The Ruts – Staring at
> the Rudeboys   Tristan Palmer – Don't want to be a rudeboy.
> "And there you were thinking these shows were just chucked together

"   Angels One 5 – Cut and Dried   Ex Post Facto – Oceanic
> Explorers   Short Commercial Break – Smarties [16/11/82]   Chalice
> – Can't Dub   Pink Industry – Holy Shit [16/11/82]   Cook da
> Books – Rich Man Don't    Dennis Reed – All Around Her
> "I think Dennis old sport youre going to have to do rather better
> than that or put it another way I'll have to do rather better than
> that. That's Dennis Reed at the wrong speed – a little poem for
> you – poetry, found poetry how attractive that can be  – come on
> get on with it - what's happened now – oh hang on I've
> stopped it. There you go
"   Short Commercial Break – Yorkie