What was your most hated Peel favourite band?

Stuart Mchugh stuart@...
Fri May 25 19:05:39 CEST 2012

> I disliked lots of Peel's faves at first but they grew on me - loved
>    the way he championed bands who later matured - always kept me
>    guessing and intrigued
>
> The list of bands and genres he introduced me to is endless - so
>    many magic moments, Slits, Pop Group, early Scritts, The mighty
>    Fall, Sonic Youth, Misty, Aswad, Oval, PHJ, Fresenius Kabi, Diblo,
>    Bhundus, Abana Banaseri, Melt Banana, Boredoms, JUNE TABOR, Martin
>    Carthy, John Martyn, Drum and Bass, Electro, Dance, Weddoes,
>    Microdisney Glad you were born in England, Tangerine Dream, Lee
>    Perry, Bovell, The Jury Boys, even now I am first hearing the
>    Superqueens and Living Ornament, Guitar Wolf, Pinetop Smith, who
> was
>    that fab boogie woogie lady? Pig's Big 78, and of course - The
>    Native Hipsters Oh look there goes concord again, who was it did
>    that song went wah wah didly diddly splong with lots of shouting?
>    Splintered, nearly forgot Vermonster and Trumanswater, the Saints,
>    Dead C, Who did 'and I send my love with a Molotov cocktail?'

I need to look out the Tenage Jesus track to hear how "wah wah didly
diddly splong" sounds in real life.
Could the boogie woogie lady be Winifred Atwell?
I think that the point about Peel is the sheer amount of hits more
than make up for the misses - they're all in the ear of the beholder
anyway, but I'd be astonished if anyone liked every single tune he
played, but for me there are only a few glitches - not really into
techno of which there was a fair bit, and I was always a bit baffled
by Sheena Easton. But he made good calls on the likes of Oasis, Stone
Roses etc, sometimes it was more about what he didn't champion than
what he did that acted as a filter to Radio One.

Stuart Mchugh
po box 13516 linlithgow eh49 6wb ...  t: 01506 840063 ...  e: editor@...