Lawrence Of Belgravia - peel content

RobF robfleay@...
Mon Jun 18 11:53:41 CEST 2012

I saw Lawrence of Belgravia (Paul Kelly's documentary about Lawrence from
Felt/Denim/Go Kart Mozart) at the weekend and there was a great bit where
Lawrence adamantly claims that the reason Felt never achieved the same
level of success as their contemporaries is purely down to the fact that
John Peel didn't like them.

This then leads on to Pete Astor telling Lawrence that when he did a Wisdom
Of Harry session at Peel Acres, he covered a Denim song and John Peel told
him that he'd never received a letter as horrible and vitriolic as the one
that Lawrence sent him. Apparently Peel hadn't liked the first Felt single,
so Lawrence wrote to him demanding both copies of the 7" back that he'd
sent in.

He then displayed the original copy of the single with John Peel's
handwritten & signed note on the sleeve saying "I could only find one copy
of the single so please send me a bill for the missing copy and I will give
you the money"

The film is excellent anyway and highly recommended viewing - even if you
aren't a big fan