[peel] Re: What was your most hated Peel favourite band?

Mike Parker parkermike81@...
Sun Jul 15 19:33:47 CEST 2012

Stereolab phil? are you kidding? these were my 2nd worst after the wedding present who i remind everybody again, david gedge can`t sing for toffees.

________________________________
 From: Phil Edwards <festive50@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 14 July 2012, 23:11
Subject: RE: [peel] Re: What was your most hated Peel favourite band?

Had problems with my e-mail and just found
this draft,
So a belated post.

I haven’t posted for a hell of a
long time, but this post really appealed to me.
Firstly being one of the older members (b.
1951), I grew up with Peely, from his “ Perfumed Garden ”
days on Radio London and in those days I just loved practically everything he
played.
I carried on listening up to the mid
‘70s then I stopped and the only band I can remember to this day which
put me off was “The boys of the Lough” (I possibly may even like
them now, who knows). Ironically I’d stopped listening just prior to
punk, however I did get to hear punk and reggae elsewhere fortunately but
probably not to such a great extent. I then rediscovered Peel in 1981 when I
heard and recorded the top 20 of the festive fifty and carried on with just the
FFs until early 1987 when I listened to most of his shows right up to his sad
demise. Again I just loved practically everything he played up until the latter
years and believe it or not I preferred the electronic techno/ drum ‘n
bass/ dance/ grime/ dubstep to the conventional guitar based bands. Ironically
John used to bemoan the fact that the FF was latterly made up of “white
boys strumming guitars”, yet he used to play the ilk of “Von
Bondies”, “The Datsuns”, “Vaults”,
“Decoration” and “The Bees” which I just simply
abhorred and in IMHO were just a continuation of “Britpop” and
hadn’t “moved on”.
To me, guitar bands had to have a
distinctive edge with raucous/melodic beautiful vocals like “King of the
Slums”, “Band of Susans”, “Clinic”,
“Solex”, “Stereolab”, “Herman Dune”, “Will
Oldham”, “Tungg”.

Phil