HISSSSSSSSSSS

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Thu Jul 12 17:59:20 CEST 2012

Yes I'll have a go at both..!

Hiss removal software can be useful, but they can also give a warbly
effect if not used judiciously.

I have used a combination of multiband compressor/expander and frequency
equalisation to reduce hiss, and sometimes a VST plug in

I feel this is Ok to get those radio shows to a listenable state.

However, this is absolute heresy on those "lossless bootlegs" sites
where there are people who strongly object to this because so many
recordings have been "ruined" because people prefer the hiss to the
warbly effect.

With the jamming tape - transfer to a new shell is shown HERE
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peel/photos/album/1901452634/pic/58653902\
8/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc>

Sometimes I have also need a lubricant to get the tape through. It makes
a right mess of the cassette machine, but it can be cleaned up , and
does tget the tape through.

Let me know by PM if you want help on either

Bill

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, MARK LUETCHFORD <M.Luetchford@...> wrote:

> steve - so it goes - thanks for continuing with uploading. As my
resident guru - I am recording an old tape which is really quiet and at
full volume so it has a major hiss on playback. In audacity there seem
to be all sorts of stuff that can be done to alter the track - do you
know what to do to remove? Others welcome to answer

> I've also just remembered that there was one of my tape that needed
reloading into another case as it stuck badly when played back and
banging it etc didn't work. I think you said Bill from North Wales
sometimes helped out in sorting out such miscreants - is that correct? I
think you said they needed to be broken opne and reloaded into another
case. that seems too dangerous for me to attempt - I might have
someone's eye out!