HISSSSSSSSSSS

Stuart stuartb@...
Thu Jul 12 17:44:28 CEST 2012

Hi Mark
I would double check the Dolby setting if the tape was recorded with it on and you playback with it off then hiss will be magnified at low recording levels. However if the Tape was recorded on a different machine that might introduce unwelcome pumping effects so in that case it is best done in Audacity or similar. I've not performed hiss removal in Audacity but have in one of the Nero apps and it worked well mainly as it was piano music and there was little extreme HF content. Audacity does allow you to preview effects on a sample of the recording before applying the effect to the whole file so it would then be a case if trial and error .
Stuart