[peel] Glass Menagerie

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Tue Nov 1 23:12:52 CET 2011

At 19:30 01/11/2011, you wrote:

>Enjoying these 1960s shows, looking forward to hearing some more! I
>haven't yet heard one I remember, but then my memory is addled. But
>they have set me off on one of the obsessive quests that grab me now
>and again - i.e. Glass Menagerie! Research via Ken's book tells me
>that they did two Peel Sessions. All but one of those tracks seem to
>have turned up - a cover of 'One More Heartache' - at least, I
>presume it's a cover! Anybody know it, have it, know where it might
>be located? Ken also says that they did a session for the David
>Symonds programme, and of course they may have done others. I have
>discovered that they are included on a BBC Transcription Disc from
>1968 - three tracks, which could well have been the David Symonds
>session. The band often turn up on 'psychedelic' compilation CDs, of
>which there are now many of course.
>
>In a nutshell - anybody got any Glass Menagerie they would like to
>share, for my home made compilation of a fondly remembered band? I
>saw them live a few times, remember they did a pretty neat version
>of Spirit's 'Fresh Garbage' which I knew from the Rock Machine LP.
>
>John Gray

I have a batch of sessions which I got from the Internet somewhere
some years ago

I have 2 tracks from the Symonds session - She's A Rainbow and Somebody To love
+ another track which sounds like an original

I have 2 tracks from the 23-6-68 Top Gear session - Love Me Two Times and
Dear Mr Fantasy         Not the other 2 from the session

I have the 4 tracks from the 9-3-69 session

Plus there is another group of 3 originals which I put down as Top
Gear from 1969

All tracks are poor quality probably from AM broadcasts  (all we had
in those days!)

I suspect these duplicate what you have (probably from the same source) which
is why I haven't put them up

martinw