[peel] Re: John Peel Wiki

RobF robfleay@...
Wed Jun 15 10:52:18 CEST 2011

On 14 June 2011 23:04, Martin Wheatley <martinw@...>wrote:

> At 22:38 14/06/2011, you wrote:
>
> The BBC own the copyright to Gardener's Question Time

Which is of course the main reason that I refuse to illegally share my stash
of vintage GQT tapes.

Seriously though - I had the misfortune to hear a bit of Huw Stephens the
other day.

Huw seems to be the de facto R1 replacement for Peel on the
white-boy-indie-guitar-band front, and while some of the music he plays is
OK, it was the manner of his delivery that upset me

He was basically faking enthusiasm for the bands playing at Download –
because Radio 1 were covering the festival. It wasn’t deliberately insincere
like Peel used to do with the DLT trails etc but the voice of a man so
desperate not to upset his employers that he would probably admit a love of
bestiality if they asked him to.

With that I realised what I miss about Peel most is knowing that you were
hearing the music in spite of the Radio 1 bosses not because of them.