[peel] Re: John Peel Wiki

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Wed Jun 15 00:04:09 CEST 2011

At 22:38 14/06/2011, you wrote:

>Am I the only one who finds that rather a sad reflection on the
>BBC's attitude to its premier broadcaster? So John wasn't joking
>when he said that they would rather keep episodes of Gardener's
>Question Time than sessions....or indeed recordings of his shows.
>
>Steve (TK)

The BBC own the copyright to Gardener's Question Time and most other
spoken word
  shows so it costs them nothing
On John Peel shows and sessions they do not own the copyright to any
of the music
Record company contracts cover all their artist output so even with a
session the BBC
  are just like an external producer - they do not own it.  And of
course the copyright
on the records he played was and is with the record and publishing companys
The only right the BBC has is to stream music shows on the Internet
for 7 days after the prog
is broadcast and that costs them a lot of money

martinw