[peel] Peel and 6 Music?

colin bray colinbray@...
Fri Mar 5 08:41:08 CET 2010

I don't know the answer, Ken, but without wishing to get into an argument with those who think the ending of 6 Music is an 'affront to the memory of Peel' I always worry about a deceased person being cited ie 'it's what he would have wanted.'

It feels like the name of Peel is being played to give legitimacy to an argument and I don't think he would have liked that*. 6 Music may indeed be an excellent station but it doesn't seek to replicate Peel's philosophy. In my opinion the nearest we have to Peel's show is Dandelion and even that is obviously very different to what he was doing.

As I say, not picking a fight with anybody and not seeking to appropriate Ken's question but this has been nagging at me for a few days and I needed to say something.

Cheers.

Colin.

* I know, I know, this is akin to using his name to give legitimacy to my argument

To: peel@yahoogroups.com
From: ken_garner@...
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:56:21 +0000
Subject: [peel] Peel and 6 Music?

A number of people have been citing Peel as part of the protest over 6 Music's (possible) fate. I wonder if anyone here can tell us if he ever made any comment on air about it, in the last 2 years of his programme, or its shows and presenters, positive or otherwise? Might be useful to have actual evidence. Just a thought. It is just possible he mentioned it in one of his last Radio Times columns, which I think ended sometime in 2002, but my collection of these is incomplete and hopelessly out of sequence...
- ken