mixcloud

Stuart stuartb@...
Wed Feb 17 01:55:31 CET 2010

Hi Paul, and thanks for delurking!

You'll see from the wiki that there are quite a few shows online from these years but also quite a few gaps in each year, sometimes lasting a month or two. So I'm sure that if you wished to share your work, there will be some great new stuff there, but by the same token you would not feel that to start the job you would be there forever, as it would be a case of gap-filling.

Mixcloud - looks like a great idea for current DJs choosing from an approved track list, kind of a variant on the Spotify model. But I really can't see this startup company having negotiated royalties with every possible past and present performer and their record companies, not even Last or Spotify have managed that yet. I can't see that airing an old JP show with a barely identified, obscure, or in some cases, unannounced track from the early 1980s would trigger an automatic royalty payment to the proper recipient.

Then there's the legality of rebroadcasting an old BBC radio show - especially if recording royalties are being examined on a track by track basis.....

It would be possible already to create Spotify playlists and indeed some Festive 50 playlists have been created, but there are big gaps due to the non-universality of royalty agreements.

Stuart