Audacity

alanforduk alan@...
Sun Mar 22 20:50:00 CET 2009

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies.
What I have is a home-made compilation of Glastonbury 1993 broadcasts, featuring JP, AK and Johnnie (is that the correct spelling?) Walker.
I vaguely remember that my stereo FM reception used to hiss so badly at times that I occasionally resorted recording in mono.
The whole of side a is in mono so I used 'stereo track to mono' under the 'tracks' menu.
However side B alternates between stereo and mono, so I thought it would be a good idea to copy the left track to the right track for the mono bits.
It's actually fairly simple once one discovers the 'split stereo track' option which allows copy/paste between the two tracks.
To avoid complications with lining-up the different sections, I am first breaking up the FLAC file into separate mono/stereo portions, fixing the mono bits and then re-assembling the file.

I have another compilation tape of mainly funny/profound JP links which has similar problems.

Going back to side A of the Glasto tape; are there any pros/cons between having a single mono track, or a 'stereo' file with the tracks duplicated (other than the obvious file sizes) ?

Cheers

Alan