[peel] Your Top Sessions of the Latter Years?

Thomas Blatchford tabdrinkink74@...
Tue Jan 6 21:21:06 CET 2009

Hi Ken. i have deduced from your book that she must have joined in 2001, but can this be referred to as The Kattenhorn Era?

Being someone who began listening to Peel in 2000 and more religiously from 2001 onwards (i was 14 at that time) my fondest memories of the show are from the period you mention, and i'm more inclined to go back and listen to shows/sessions from this time. For Steve's poll, which although i treated with much respect i still tried not to think *too* hard about, as it would have been too difficult to condense it down to five (especially as i desperately wanted to include one of the Slits' sessions), i chose the first Bearsuit session, the only People Like Us session and the only Hyper Kinako session.

Bearsuit is simply because they're the band i like most that i first heard on John's show, and without him probably would never have discovered. Their first session is because of the joy of realising 'Hey Charlie Hey Chuck' wasn't a fluke, and that i could properly fall in love with them. i think i'd have that version of 'Minerals Made Me' played at my funeral as well.

People Like Us i've chosen because initially they (she) sounded so bizarre but also completely right, and that session was essentially a showcase for tracks from Abridged Too Far which despite being essentially a sound collage art project still functions incredibly well as a pop album. i'm still really feeling the shock waves from hearing, say, the title track in session (with John's voice spliced into the middle) or 'Do Or DIY'.

Hyper Kinako i chose because it's frenetic and odd and barmy and happy and i don't think i've ever been as excited hearing a new band when the likes of 'Don't Delete My Frog' came on. Plus there was always a thank you at the end, and it doesn't cost you to be polite.

If we're including live sessions though i'd probably swap that last one for dj/rupture live at Maida Vale though. i think he's a magician, or at least an alchemist.

Let me know if this mysterious project needs any help.

thomas xxxxx