10 Jan 1979 (new version for download)

Dr Mango dr_mango2004@...
Wed Jan 7 02:59:05 CET 2009

A short while ago, 400 box ripper Jimmy sent me his raw files of his first batch of rips so I could look into correcting the speed issues that affected a couple and had made him reluctant to share them out straight away. Two recordings - 10th Jan 1979 and 14th Feb 1979 - were shared out "provisionally" while I looked into it. Thanks to Jimmy's reminder, I'm now onto it. :)

The first recording, 10th Jan 1979, was clearly running fast. I've corrected the speed by 4%; a comparison with the records themselves show that they're now at the right speed. The tape seems to have been running even faster towards the end of side B, so I've slowed down the last two songs by a bit more to compensate (Peel's link into the PiL song could possibly have done with a further tweak, but never mind). The new version, now compiled into a single file, can be downloaded here:

1979-01-10 v2.mp3 (77.2 Mb 128 kbps mono)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q5OAO5WW
Wiki page: http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/10_January_1979

I then looked at the second show, 14th Feb 1979. To my ears, there's not a great deal wrong with it. I compared the Joy Division session tracks to the officially released versions and it seems if anything that the tape is running slightly slower - but the difference is too marginal to bother adjusting it. So I think the Wiki references "(provisonal, speed corrected version coming)" can be removed.
Wiki: http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/14_February_1979

I'll look at a couple of more of Jimmy's files tomorrow. These haven't been shared yet, so there should be something new to download.

Dr M.