Peel's Pleasures: last one for now

Stuart Brooks stuartb@...
Tue Dec 22 00:01:41 CET 2009

Yes it is comforting that some future generations (if they can be bothered)
might one day have the opportunity to get to hear these shows (which I guess
is the point of the archive) though it may be later in the century before
all the rights etc expire, like they have with some early Joplin works. I
wonder if the sessions are less restricted or at least have the rights more
biased to the BBC, which would make things simpler should a play on demand
service ever be developed.
 1983 is the period of greatest interest to me as that is when I did my most
intensive listening. I do think there must be many more shows out there on
old tapes. Indeed I have several acquaintances who may be hoarding such, one
with an old reel to reel still in operation and sounding great, he was once
by chance given a hitch by JP, another was an early adopter of DAT, and a
third a serial collector of Nakamichi decks.

Stuart

*	I do have a complete index of show dates, and session guests (which
is how Chris Lycett and I dated them) but that's all. I don't think I should
share that in full as it was technically a BBC document. I do have one or
two of these I wanted to hear in order to write my book and I was given
copies on CD - this includes the show with the "lost" session by Protex
early in 79, which was a lovely show, I must say. They are pretty good
quality. It is however extremely unlikely they will ever be publicly
available unless a deal is done for the entirety of BBC show archive tapes
to be audible via some agreement and technology. There is some crossover
with parts of the 400 Box project, obviously, but not a lot. I overestimated
the number of shows, though, it's only about 108, and that includes 5 Peel's
Pleasures, 3 with Mark Ellen deputising,3 with Walters depping, 1 or 2 other
non-peel documentaries, so it's actually about 90+ Peel shows, mostly from
79-83, with a handful from later in the 80s. Among the treats apparently
nestling in there, apart from that Protex session, are the complete Radio 1
in Yorkshire, Scotland and Liverpool weeks' Peel shows, from 79, 81, and 83
respectively. One day....