John's First Big Weekend

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Sat Sep 27 15:34:48 CEST 2008

Thanks for these !

The show from the 7th has "done the rounds" before and its
one of my favourite shows from the 90's. So its great to get
the other one ..................

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@...> wrote:

in Glasgow. I discovered these tapes unlabelled a few weeks ago
while undertaking an
> enforced clear out of my university office (to facilitate space for
window repairs), where I
> moved part of my tape archive in the mid-90s, for what reason now
escapes me. I had
> forgotten I had taped complete the two consecutive shows Peel had
done live in October
> 1994 from BBC Scotland's old studios in Queen Margaret Drive as
part of the Glasgow City
> Council backed `Ten Day Weekend" music festival. So this week's
downpod from me is six
> hours of Glasgow-focussed musical entertainment, the highlights
being perhaps Nectarine
> No 9's session and the squeaky BBC Scotland chair (Friday), and the
football match reports
> from the Glasgow Herald's David Belcher, and John Williamson
(Saturday). The Saturday
> show is clearly the better and more eventful of the two, with more
interviews and jokes,
> though both are great musically, with the Frank Black and Teenage
Fanclub session
> getting a deserved repeat, and a spin of the H Foundation. There is
also a brief mention of
> me.
>
> Listening to these over the past few evenings for the first time
since that weekend, the
> social whirl of those 3 days all came back to me. Peel, Hawkes and
Alison arrived on
> Thursday afternoon and after a meal in Long Fung we all went down
to see Uresei Yatsura
> at the original 13th Note basement café venue at the top of
Glassford Street. We all teased
> Hawkes for declaring without irony that he "really liked the chick
on bass". On Friday
> afternoon, I introduced and interviewed Peel at a packed GFT chat
show, at which several
> old pals of his showed up and an unknown woman presented him with a
tray of pot plants.
> On Saturday we went for lunch in Gandolfi's in Albion Street (Peel
had the Finnan
> haddock, still, I was pleased to note on a recent visit, a staple
of the menu), and then a
> crowd of us went to the BBC studio for the show, where, as Peel
rightly credits, only the
> BBC Scotland engineer Andrew stayed calm amid the mad onslaught of
special guests and
> features. Afterwards we trooped down to Mother India for a curry,
then saw AC Acoustics
> and Shriek at Nice N Sleazy's. I will never forget Hawkes' and
Alison's blank faced