[peel] suggestion

cannon alan ajcauk@...
Mon Sep 1 14:30:13 CEST 2008

Hi
  There was me thinking that if you delete or junk your recordings then as the BBC has done with so much stuff then you are then surrendering your interest. I thought the illegality laid not in the recording (copying) per se but in public re-broadcasting; not so apparently. My view being that if you cannot guarantee the survival of an original paid-for copy (as in the case of your average CD) then creating a back-up makes for common sense. As you say the artists themselves and JP's estate might have something to say about it . I'll let it be, as you were. Thanks alanjc

, rockerq@aol.com <rockerq@...> wrote:

From: rockerq@... <rockerq@...>
Subject: Re: [peel] suggestion
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 30 August, 2008, 1:53 PM

<<Are there any plans to put some of these old JP recordings on the Dandelion Radio monthly loop? If not might i suggest you do.
 I say this because one thing that seems to work with some kind of reliability is the Dandelion Radio stream>>

Nice idea - but...

Dandelion Radio is not a pirate - we are licenced with PRS and MCPS - and pay a lot of royalties every month for the privelege! (We are entirely funded by contributions from our DJs and staff) - There is no way we could jeopardise our position by playing old BBC broadcasts which would be seen as illegal copies by the BBC or the many publishing companies with interests in the material - in fact even Peelie's estate may have an interest.

This is also why we cannot set up a website to distribute the shows - whoever could be shown to have set up the site would be legally responsible for its content - so the various upload / download services are our best option at least in the short term - they at least give some anonymity to the uploaders.

btw I have had no probs downloading 90 percent of the recent files - one thing you probably need is the most recent versions of your system software, your browser, and its various plugins. (I use a Mac, btw). Has anyone else been having problems?

Our best bet for distributing the shows long-term may be some sort of server like the one run by PhilFestive50, which is currently offline - access can then be controlled by password login etc.

Cheesr!

Rocker