[peel] 1977 Festive 50 (a billion questions (very slight exaggeration))

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Wed Oct 22 17:01:45 CEST 2008

> <<2 Althea & Donna – Uptown Top Ranking
> I think JP could only have played single, although despite its
> megahit status I can't find a pre-early 78 release for it. Anyone
> help with details about this one?>>

Althea & Donna's "Uptown Top Ranking" was one of those very rare records that
only became a megahit due to John Peel's repeated playing of it (like "O
Superman") - I remember him bitterly telling the story on-air of how he later
heard A & D being interviewed on their first UK visit - saying something like
"We'd like to thank the Radio One DJ who has been playing our record and made it a
hit - thank you...   Kid Jenson"

I reckon he either had a pre-release - or more likely he had an original
Jamaican release (was the "Dub Vendor" shop in Soho there in those days - he often
said that's where he bought a lot of his reggae imports) - indeed it may only
have got a UK release off the back of his playing the record - not many
Jamaican 7"s by unknown artists got a UK release in those days!

re The Motors - I think he was a mate of one of the band - I certainly
remember him playing the long version of Dancing The Night Away in a F50 show -
although as Steve said it also made the chart the following year & I would have
been listening to both (and indeed recording both - shame I was too skint in
those days to keep the tapes!)

Cheers!

Rocker