1976 Festive 50 (final scores on the doors)

spib2003 bill.spiby@...
Mon Oct 20 15:00:29 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm off work this week, so at some point will gather my notes and
post an ubernerd pedantfest with regard to the 1977 Forgotten 50 (61
actually!). But in anticipation of that, here's a reminder of
the 'final' version for 1976 (huge thanks to all who contacted me
with amendments and of course to Ken for pasBs). In case you forgot
(or more likely didn't care) - I'm trying to collect all Festive 50
entries primarily in version played and then in any other eligible
broadcast or released version. Any further amendments to 76 are very
welcome. Mic's recent and hopefully ongoing work should prove
invaluable once I get on to 78+.

John Peel Festive 50 1976

1 Led Zeppelin – Stairway to Heaven
Played from LP Led Zeppelin IV (8.00)
Eligible: live version from The Song Remains the Same (10.58)
The `In Concert' version broadcast on Radio 1 (8.49)

2 Derek and the Dominoes – Layla
Played from LP Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (7.04)
Also eligible: the truncated single (2.43)

3 Bob Dylan – Desolation Row
Played from LP Highway 61 Revisited

4 Pink Floyd - Echoes
Probably from Meddle (23.21)
Eligible: live version recorded Sept 30th 1971 BBC Paris Cinema

5 The Jimi Hendrix Experience – All Along the Watchtower
Played single (4.00)
Eligible: Live version on Isle of Wight (5.39)
US version of compilation Smash Hits (alternate take) (4.00)

6 Free – All Right Now
Played from LP Fire and Water (5.32)
Eligible: truncated reworked single (4.18)
BBC session version
BBC In Concert version
Live version on Free Live! (6.24)

7 Racing Cars – They Shoot Horses Don't They
Played from LP Downtown Tonight
Eligible: Peel Session

8 Pink Floyd – Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Played parts 1-5 from LP Wish You Were Here (13.31)
Eligible: Parts 6-9 from Wish You Were Here (12.28)

9 The Beatles – A Day in the Life
Played from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (5.33)

10 Bob Dylan – Like A Rolling Stone
Played single from LP Greatest Hits (6.09)
Eligible: live version on Self-Portrait (5.18)
Live version on Before the Flood (7.09)

11 Poco – Rose of Cimarron
Played from LP Rose of Cimarron (6.42)

12 Neil Young – Cortez the Killer
Played from LP Zuma (7.29)

13 The Rolling Stones – Brown Sugar
Played Sticky Fingers LP version from LP Made in the Shade (3.50)

14 The Beatles – Hey Jude
Played single version from LP Hey Jude (7.05)

15 Legendary Stardust Cowboy - Paralysed
Played single

16 The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
Played single
Eligible: Live version on Hendrix in the West (7.49)

17 The Beatles – Strawberry Fields Forever
Played single version from LP Magical Mystery Tour (4.10)

18 Captain Beefheart – Big Eyed Beans from Venus
Played from LP Clear Spot (4.23)

19 Led Zeppelin – Whole Lotta Love
Played from LP Led Zeppelin II (5.34)
Eligible: live version from The Song Remains the Same LP (14.25)
The Top Gear session (6.09)
The `In Concert' version broadcast on Radio 1 (13.45)

20 Lynyrd Skynyrd – Freebird
Played from LP pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd (9.07)
Eligible: Live version on One More from the Road (11.30)

21 Van Morrison – Madame George
Played from LP Astral Weeks (9.45)
Eligible: TB Sheets version (5.13)

22 The Doors – Riders on the Storm
Played from LP LA Woman (7.09)
Eligible: single edit (4.35)

23 Bob Dylan – Visions of Johanna
Played from LP Blonde on Blonde

24 Jefferson Airplane – White Rabbit
Played the single (2.30)
Eligible: Mono single mix (2.58)

25 Deep Purple – Child in Time
Played from LP In Rock (10.18)
Eligible: Live version on Made in Japan (12.24)

26 Little Feat – Long Distance Love
Played from LP The Last Record Album (2.43)

27 Grinderswitch – Pickin' the Blues
Played the single (3.10)
Eligible: Macon Tracks version (5.04)

28 Joe Walsh – Rocky Mountain Way
Played the single (2.40)
Eligible: LP version The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get (5.15)
Live version on You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind (7.40)

29 The Who – Won't Get Fooled Again
Played Who's Next LP version from The Story of the Who (8.32)
Eligible: single edit (3.38)

30 The Misunderstood – I Can Take You to the Sun
Played the single

31 Genesis – Supper's Ready
Played from LP Foxtrot (22.54)

32 Bob Marley and the Wailers – No Woman, No Cry
Played from LP Live at the Lyceum
Eligible: the original version on Natty Dread (4.06)

33 Jonathan Richman and the Modern lovers - Roadrunner
Played from Beserkley single version from LP Chartbusters
Eligible: The earlier John Cale produced single (4.04) which crops up
on The Modern Lovers LP and was called Roadrunner (Twice) when
reissued with the above

34 Rod Stewart – Maggie May
Played the single (5.46)

35 Jackson Browne – Late for the Sky
Played from LP Late for the Sky LP (5.36)

36 Led Zeppelin – Kashmir
Played from LP Physical Graffiti (8.28)

37 The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Hey Joe
Played the single (3.30)
Eligible: Live version from Soundtrack Recordings from the Film Jimi
Hendrix (3.50)

38 Allman Brothers Band – Jessica
Played from LP Brothers and Sisters (7.31)
Eligible: single edit (7.00)
Live version on Wipe the Windows, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas (9.05)

39 The Rolling Stones – Jumping Jack Flash
Played single version from Through The Past Darkly LP (3.43)
Eligible: Live version on Get Your Ya-Ya's Out (4.02)

40 Grateful Dead – Dark Star
Played from LP Live/Dead (23.18)
Eligible: single (2.44)

41 Richard and Linda Thompson – I Want to See the Bright Lights
Tonight
Played from LP I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

42 Family – The Weavers Answer
Played from LP Best of Family [pasB running time suggests this was
remixed version from Old Songs, New Songs]
Eligible: Family Entertainment LP version
The BBC session version

43 Jackson Browne – Fountain of Sorrow
Played from LP Late for the Sky (6.42)

44 Bob Dylan – Hurricane
Played from LP Desire (8.33)

45 The Doors – Light My Fire
Played from LP The Doors (7.06)
Eligible: the truncated single (3.07)
The radio edit

46 Matching Mole – O Caroline
Played from LP Matching Mole (5.05)

47 Roy Harper – When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease
Played from LP HQ

48 Wild Man Fischer – Go to Rhino Records
Played single

49 Little Feat – Willin'
Played from LP Sailin' Shoes (2.57)
Eligible: The original version on Little Feat LP (2.24)

50 Yes – And You and I
Played from LP Close to the Edge (10.08)
Eligible: live version on Yessongs (9.33)

Take care
Bill