Mouldy old tapes

bty997881 roger.carruthers@...
Mon Oct 20 14:46:12 CEST 2008

Just tackling the last two tapes of my second batch of the 400, both of which have a
particularly nasty dose of the White Fungus of Death, so I thought thought I'd share with you
the damage limitation technique I'm using.
 It seems that the worst of the fungus is on the edge of the tapes, rather than on the face, so
what I've been doing is cracking open the cases, and cleaning it off with cotton buds dipped
in isopropyl alcohol.
This is safe and fairly effective, and not only helps reduce the amount of gak shed into the
works of the machine, but also reduces the friction between the tapes and the side of the
casing, making them play more smoothly.
Judging by the colour of the used buds, this is also an effective way of catching a lot of the
oxide debris too.
 Most of the tapes are in 'sealed', rather than screwed enclosures, but I've found that you can
crack them quite cleanly by inserting a flat blade screwdriver into the record tab holes and
twisting, then open the cases by running a Stanley blade down the crack you've made.
 I don't suppose that alcohol does much damage to fungal spores, but short of reaching for
the Dithane left over from this summer's abysmal attempt to grow tomatoes in a Welsh
climate, I'm not sure there's much that can be done in this respect.
 Happy ripping!
Roger