[peel] 1976 Festive 50 (final scores on the doors)

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Oct 20 17:29:28 CEST 2008

At 14:00 20/10/2008, Bill wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm off work this week, so at some point will gather my notes and
>post an ubernerd pedantfest with regard to the 1977 Forgotten 50 (61
>actually!). But in anticipation of that, here's a reminder of
>the 'final' version for 1976 (huge thanks to all who contacted me
>with amendments and of course to Ken for pasBs). In case you forgot
>(or more likely didn't care) - I'm trying to collect all Festive 50
>entries primarily in version played and then in any other eligible
>broadcast or released version. Any further amendments to 76 are very
>welcome. Mic's recent and hopefully ongoing work should prove
>invaluable once I get on to 78+.

I want to make some comments about sessions and their availability as I
understand it
Nowadays 6Music has access to all the BBC Archives but that wasn't
the situation pre-6Music.   Sessions were made for a specific prog and
only available for that prog because the cost came out of that programme's
budget.   The BBC was split into very small sections financially and
the reason Peel mostly played records from his own collection was
because the BBC Library had to be paid for every track used from it
Peel had no access to In Concert tracks nor to Evening Show or Kershaw
sessions even if he wanted to and those shows had no access to Peel sessions

Any session tracks in the Festive Fifty would have been either from
Peel sessions (or later on some live Maida Vale performances) or
other sessions only if they had been issued on record  (as a B-side
maybe or something like that)

martinw