[peel] re: techy. May I borrow your ears?

Riving Ton deedeeramain@...
Sun Mar 23 09:22:27 CET 2008

Hi Adam!

We had a similar thread about compression a short while ago and I think we decided that FLAC was the ultimate compression format as it was lossless.

Personally - I use .ogg but I realise that it is getting kind of redundant because nobody else finds it convenient plus - I use dbpoweramp also and some of my ripped CDs don't sound right - the bass on some of my files is muffled and really poor quality.

Finally, memory is getting cheaper and cheaper so compression is becoming less necessary as time goes by. I can see a short time ahead in future that I'll want to just copy my CDs directly to a storage medium without any compression.

I normally buy hard drives in twos - one is a backup of the other. Hard drives fail and new hard drives are no exception so I'd be gutted if I spent lots of time ripping my CDs to hard drive to have the hard drive fail after a couple of months. (This happened to me with a 120GB pocket drive. The clicking noise signalled a failed disk that would cost around a grand if I wanted to recover my data!).
Don't forget that DVDs are not indestructible also!

Regards,

DeeDee