techy. May I borrow your ears?

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Sun Mar 23 15:36:23 CET 2008

I must admit, I thought the recent show offerings from
Kevin Beech (& Julian) and Andthezmore, coded in 128/44 mp3,
sounded fine, as good as an FM radio broadcast.

More importantly, I wonder whether some of my dvdrs will get
corrupted in the same way some of my 4-year-old cdrs have....
Maybe the dye starts to "leak" in time ; how could the scientists
simulate ageing when developing a recording medium ?
Don't throw away your original tapes !

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Riving Ton <deedeeramain@...> wrote:

> Hi Adam!
>
> We had a similar thread about compression a short while ago and I
think we decided that FLAC was the ultimate compression format as it
was lossless.

> Personally - I use .ogg but I realise that it is getting kind of
redundant because nobody else finds it convenient plus - I use
dbpoweramp also and some of my ripped CDs don't sound right - the
bass on some of my files is muffled and really poor quality.

> Finally, memory is getting cheaper and cheaper so compression is
becoming less necessary as time goes by. I can see a short time ahead
in future that I'll want to just copy my CDs directly to a storage
medium without any compression.

> I normally buy hard drives in twos - one is a backup of the other.
Hard drives fail and new hard drives are no exception so I'd be
gutted if I spent lots of time ripping my CDs to hard drive to have
the hard drive fail after a couple of months. (This happened to me
with a 120GB pocket drive. The clicking noise signalled a failed disk
that would cost around a grand if I wanted to recover my data!).
> Don't forget that DVDs are not indestructible also!
>
> Regards,
>
> DeeDee

have finished but I am looking to make a back up archive copy I can
leave with a family member.

> I have been looking at compression encoders to bring my music data
to 1:4 so that my entire collection can be copied to 30 dvd's. Flac
gives a ratio of 1:2. WMA and MP3 at 320kbs appear to lose the
original dynamic sound.

> I have personally found that by using the dbpoweramp prog with OGG
at 350kbs giving the 1:4 that there doesn't appear to be any
difference from the original.

> Can anyone else confirm that OGG gives the best performance for
compressed music?

> Your ears and opinions would be useful (Keeping in mind that OGG
would be used as an archived copy and not for a typical player)