[peel] re: techy. May I borrow your ears?

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sat Mar 22 19:13:55 CET 2008

At 16:55 22/03/2008, you wrote:

>Hi All
>
>May I borrow your ears?
>
>I'm back to archiving my Peely & assorted tapes to hard drive and
>dvd's  (4 c90's to a dvd)
>
>Its going to be about 130 dvd's and two large hard drives before I
>have finished but I am looking to make a back up archive copy I can
>leave with a family member.
>
>I have been looking at compression encoders to bring my music data
>to 1:4 so that my entire collection can be copied to 30 dvd's. Flac
>gives a ratio of 1:2. WMA and MP3 at 320kbs appear to lose the
>original dynamic sound.
>
>I have personally found that by using the dbpoweramp prog with OGG
>at 350kbs giving the 1:4 that there doesn't appear to be any
>difference from the original.
>
>Can anyone else confirm that OGG gives the best performance for
>compressed music?
>
>Your ears and opinions would be useful (Keeping in mind that OGG
>would be used as an archived copy and not for a typical player)
>
>Adam

How about burning your archived copies as data files on the DVD.  You
want be able to
play them on a stand-alone player but you will be able to play them
on the computer
(the DVD acts as an extra hard drive) and you can copy them back to
the computer
and burn them as required in an emergency .  You can get 4.3G of datas files
onto 1 DVD

martinw