techy. May I borrow your ears?

lollygagger lollygagger@...
Sat Mar 22 17:55:19 CET 2008

Hi All

May I borrow your ears?

I'm back to archiving my Peely & assorted tapes to hard drive and dvd's  (4 c90's to a dvd)

Its going to be about 130 dvd's and two large hard drives before I have finished but I am looking to make a back up archive copy I can leave with a family member.

I have been looking at compression encoders to bring my music data to 1:4 so that my entire collection can be copied to 30 dvd's. Flac gives a ratio of 1:2. WMA and MP3 at 320kbs appear to lose the original dynamic sound.

I have personally found that by using the dbpoweramp prog with OGG at 350kbs giving the 1:4 that there doesn't appear to be any difference from the original.

Can anyone else confirm that OGG gives the best performance for compressed music?

Your ears and opinions would be useful (Keeping in mind that OGG would be used as an archived copy and not for a typical player)

Adam