[peel] there's a difference

Paul Bryant pbryant98@...
Fri Feb 1 14:08:46 CET 2008

--- Robert Ward <r0bertward@...> wrote:

> "there's a difference, there's a difference, there's
> a difference" - a quote from Romy and Michelle's
> High School Reunion
>
>   the point I'm making is [coming up] with regard to
> the audio being passed willy and to some degree
> nilly around on the infernet 'containing' peelastic
> content
>
>   I was wondering [in that bottle of shiraz way that
> i sometimes do] whether anyone else in this group
> feels that a distinction needs to be drawn between
> audio which skillfully edits out anything peel might
> think to say before or after a well-chosen piece of
> music [or draws from a non-broadcast source] or if i
> am alone in feeling that i would quite like to hear
> peel's intro and outro on a festive fifty track or
> session track, and that, otherwise, i'm not much
> bothered - for instance:
>
>   I'm a big fan of ween, and I recently downloaded
> their second session (I had their first one twice on
> my contemporary TDK compilations (incidentally he
> broadcast it the second time in a block), but i must
> have been abroad for their 2nd) and this session was
> all nice and super, but it wasn't the same [as it
> had been shorn of any distracting comment from the
> raven, you must understand]
>
>   that's all really - i'm not seeking to evangelise
> about naming conventions or anything else, but i
> wondered if others had been similarly wounded by
> acts of careful omission
>
>   perhaps this distinction is already drawn in ways
> of which I am ignorant, therefore accept my
> apologies, but the wound has been festering for a
> while and I may be more subject to it's ague than
> shiraz has medicine to soothe
>
>   lots of love
>   Tim
>
>   [full shows are the answer you seek]

I think what everyone really needs is a website
containing tracklists of every Peel show from Radio
London Perfumed Gardens onwards, including Night
Rides, with links to files containing versions of each
show as follows

1) the complete show with all Peel's comments
2) the complete show with Peel's comments edited out
3) Peel's comments only
4) assuming some of these shows won't be available in
crystal audio quality, two versions of the complete
show with the music dubbed in from cds

This giant website would of course contain complete
band histories and biographies of everyone and all
Festive 50s would naturally be there for your
listening peasure.

It's possible there might be a few problems to
surmount on the way, such as time, money, inclination,
availability and lawyers. Apart from that I see
nothing stopping us.

pb