The One That Was Played Backwards... and a bonus

Dead Earnest deadearnest@...
Wed Dec 24 18:05:34 CET 2008

HI,
Toa degree, I disagree. Peel at that time was more than just another DJ. More than integral to the whole late night or early evening slots, he was the only guy to get two shows a week at one point, but more than that, even with the likes of Bob Harris, Mike Harding, Alan Black and Pete Drummond doing the "Sounds Of The Seventies" shows, Peel was still regarded as the main man.
I was lucky when it came to recording - I had this huge unwieldy open reel tape recorder and everything got recorded onto that. I used to record sessions, fave tracks. even a load of instrumental mid-song breaks and solos, but wherever possible I always recorded the DJ before and after the track. The bootlegegrs at the time in the USA used to frown on this and that's why so many bootleg tapes and LP's only have the music and not the DJ's, but I always felt the DJ presence added something to the whole thing.
I've still got loads of bits of things scattered all over a load of cassettes, most of which are probably not quite as good as you might think, although I still have all the above DJ's introducing solos and sessions and tracks in some form or other.
My taste in music was - still is - far and wide - I could listen to and love Bridget St John, Fripp and Eno and The Cheviot Ranters Country Dance Band, all Peel faves.
Oddly, I recorded very little of the Alan Freeman Saturday show, prob coz Sat afternoons were out and about, although I do have excerpts from one show - no sessions - on one cassette. I did record some complete Tommy Vance Rock Shows in the '80's but I can't find the blessed things!! Booo!!!
Everything has always remained just for private listening as I never had time to trade tapes and stuff, which is why so much of it never appeared anywhere.
Recently I contributed recordings to the Egg CD of sessions and live tracks and the Hatfield and the North CD of a similar nature. My Isotope tapes proved interesting but it was deemed not to be up to release standard - fair point!!
On a separate and slightly humorous note I submitted a rare tape to a seventies Krautrock band only to have it rejected on the grounds that the drums weren't up enough in the mix - the drummer then released a CD featuring the guitarist way back in the mix!!! Since then, he has redeemed himself tho with two excellent CD's of archive live stuff.
Fun fun fun..............
Andy G.
www.deadearnest.btinternet.co.uk
Dead Earnest website