The One That Was Played Backwards... and a bonus

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Wed Dec 24 00:07:08 CET 2008

It is interesting to hear Peel from this time.

It may be hard to imagine now, but he was just another DJ then, and
he was still considered by me as a bit of a hippy with West Coast
leanings in the same mould as Bob Harris.

Alan Freemans show on Saturday was much more fun and exciting for me,
fuelled by Led Zep and Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Wishbone Ash and
Status Quo. Even if the last 2 were firm Peel favourites, I have to
tell you that ploughing through artists like Bridget St John would
have been tough work for this spotty adolescent.

As well as the technolgy and cost limitations of recording radio back
the, you can also maybe understand why not so many Peel shows were
recorded from 1973-1976.

It is also incredible to realise just how much Punk just changed
everything, and actually helped to create a legendary broadcaster.

This Christmas I shall be mostly reminiscing and revising history

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@...> wrote:

> Here are the links for the show of 18th December 1973, as
advertised. Apologies for the
> size, but I had to experiment with settings to avoid that mp3
shuddering we all know and
> fear, given the high levels of mid-low frequencies - i think - on
the tape. I have also
> pasted here my transcript of what's on the tape and what I know
from my research to be
> missing from it, having failed to recall how to do new show wiki
entry for the wiki (sorry
> Steve). As a bonus, I have also disocovered in a box the Offspring
Christmas Special from
> Christmas Eve 1996: it's highly inconsequential, but has at least
two amusing moments of
> audio actuality with John recording his links at home, one
involving a ladder and a pile of
> CDs, and one sheepdog Bridget. Happy Christmas everyone
>
> ken
>
> PS. Has anybody tried / succeeded in downloading the Christmas New
Order special from
> 1998? (see previous postings) My megaupload file manager tells me
no-one has been
> interested. Is that right?
>
> ~~~~~~
>
> OFFSPRING Christmas Special BBC R4, 1996-12-24, 8.30pm
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FWWA1T4T
>
> Peel 1973-12-18 pt 1
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KXY87M0W
> Peel 1973-12-18 pt 2
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CHZ8F0WX
> Peel 1973-12-18 pt 3
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=82LQH1PV
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> PEEL 1973-12-18
> R1 10pm-midnight
>
> SIG: Top Gear, by The Nice
> Announcement by Stuart Grundy
>
> Jet / Paul McCartney & Wings / LP Band on the Run
> Heavenly Music Corporation / Fripp & Eno / session (20' 40")
> Maybe I'm Amazed / The Faces / single
> Back on the road again / Jack the Lad / session (repeat)
> Liar / Queen / LP Queen
> Curious & Woolly / Bridget St John / session
> Scratchy / Travis Wammack /single
> Bike / Pink Floyd / LP Piper at the gates of dawn
> [EDIT: original tape flip lost Peel's intro to next St John session
track]
> ~
>
> Choosing, You Lose One / Bridget St John / session
> Juiced / Jackie Brenston / LP Chess Golden Decade Vol 1
> --11pm News Bulletin--
> Caliban / Ian Carr's Nucleus / LP Roots
> [EDIT: tape flip in copy made soon after original tape misses Peel
link]
> ~
>
> Jumble Queen / Bridget St John / session
> Fast Lane Driver / Jack The Lad / session (repeat)
> [EDIT]
> ~
>
> [OMITTED FROM ORIGINAL RECORDING
> I Can't Stand The Rain / Ann Peebles / single
> Gonna Creep Up On You / Thin Lizzy / LP Vagabonds of the Western
World]