"Coming up, the midnight news summary..."

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Fri Aug 22 13:23:09 CEST 2008

Just downloaded and heard a bit. Sounds real good quality - Thanks
Ken.

Don't know why you had so much hiss? Usually that technique of
recording with Dolby B on, and playing back with Dolby off gives a
nice little treble boost without too much hiss.

Anyway, now comes the bit I like best...playing the full 2 hour show,
and getting all the surprises as they come along, not least what the
news and sport were on that day

Bill

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@...> wrote:

> Well I've finally completed my first rip of my (modest) collection
of my own originated
> complete (or nearly complete) Peel shows, so here it is, a timely
surprise for this weekend.
> I won't say any more about what this show was / represented /
contains, or why I chose to
> do this one first for right now, but it will become obvious,
especially if you listen from the
> start of the sports news. Loaded into itunes the 3 parts will flow
together pretty well, but
> after first listening all the way through once (I really think you
might like the completeness
> of the experience, given the context), you can always detach /
discard the first part and
> just archive parts b and c. I was taping back then using one of
those mains plug timers
> with the pins for 15 min periods, so I must have known I'd be out
at the start, and the
> tape kicked in 5 minutes early. If I get a chance I'll do a full
tracklisting for the wiki site
> over the weekend, but for now, just enjoy it. There will be about
half a dozen more like
> this between now and end October, I hope. Below is a summary of the
route technically. I
> had to switch the dolby B back on (I suspect like many, until I got
a top flight tape deck in
> 1990 or so I tended to tape with dolby on and playback with dolby
off, in the car /
> walkman etc) because the first go was very hissy. This is my third
attempt using different
> settings etc, and the one that came out sounding closest to the
tape, so there. I just look
> away from the screen and wing the EQ right up and right down, then
back up slowly till it
> sounds right. Shocking, isn't it? Let me know how it sounds. I
monitored using various
> closed / open / in-ear headphones and playout systems, but am
assuming most people,
> like me, will probably listen on an ipod/mp3 player, or a desktop
computer linked to a
> reasonable stereo, but probably not a real audiophile setup. The
feature I really like in the
> software I got is the graphic, neat little kicking analog VU
meters: now that, I can
> understand.
> ken
>
> TDK D120 recorded on Aiwa deck model forgotten / playback on TEAC
W6000R with