[peel] Other Rock Radio Groups/Blogs

Eddie Duffy eddie.duffy@...
Fri Aug 15 23:37:43 CEST 2008

Yes mate, I've occasionally wondered that myself. I know that there are
various 'aircheck' collections out there, and tape trading of other
radio shows does take place. And every trader will naturally have his
own favourite DJs. But it seems that, in the UK at least, more people
taped Peel, and kept the tapes, than for just about any other DJ. I
seriously think that there's a thesis waiting to be written on this
subject (a good one for one of Ken's students, perhaps), because I don't
think there's an easy answer. Maybe something about Peel's search for
the different, elusive and wonderful new sounds tended to attract the
type of obsessive personalities (99.9% male) who would be just the sort
to squirrel away their own recordings of the man's work. Maybe his shy,
blokey decency hit a chord with disaffected bookish youth that continued
to resonate with many of them through adulthood. But maybe there's 1001
equally plausible theories.

The only comparable UK DJ I can think of (as regards collectors) is
probably Everett, but I'd hazard a guess that there are probably quite a
few Alan Freed and Wolfman Jack collectors across the Pond.

Eddie.