Other Rock Radio Groups/Blogs

theallnewadventuresofspp theallnewadventuresofspp@...
Sat Aug 16 01:56:22 CEST 2008

I've a feeling it's largely to do with the music. In a similar vein
I'm sure there may be some amongst us (or I may be the only one
confessing this...) to
religiously taping the Indie chart rundowns on the chart show, and
whilst there's a large number of these circulating on Youtube
nowadays, there doesn't appear to be the same devotion from the
Dance or Rock Chart fans...
...just a thought!

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Duffy <eddie.duffy@...> wrote:

> Yes mate, I've occasionally wondered that myself. I know that
there are
> various 'aircheck' collections out there, and tape trading of
other
> radio shows does take place. And every trader will naturally have
his
> own favourite DJs. But it seems that, in the UK at least, more
people
> taped Peel, and kept the tapes, than for just about any other DJ.
> seriously think that there's a thesis waiting to be written on
this
> subject (a good one for one of Ken's students, perhaps), because I
don't
> think there's an easy answer. Maybe something about Peel's search
for
> the different, elusive and wonderful new sounds tended to attract
the
> type of obsessive personalities (99.9% male) who would be just the
sort
> to squirrel away their own recordings of the man's work. Maybe his
shy,
> blokey decency hit a chord with disaffected bookish youth that
continued
> to resonate with many of them through adulthood. But maybe there's
1001
> equally plausible theories.
>
> The only comparable UK DJ I can think of (as regards collectors)
is