[peel] Re: Wiki

markbursa@... markbursa@...
Wed Aug 13 04:00:28 CEST 2008

Ken,

but Peel always continued to like and play Floyd (until the split), Dave
Gilmour's
solo stuff, Roger and Michael Chapman, Bill Nelson, etc etc.  <<

though he discarded them pretty quickly when the quality of the output
dipped. He stuck with Bill Nelson because he still made good records. PF got
dropped aroudnd the time of Animals .

>>But Peel later declared regret that for a time the show had  become the
prisoner of its audience, and played too much post punk, indie, etc  and, saving
reggae, a lesser variety, in the early 80s. I think he was right;  the shows
of the late 80s are much more diverse than those of 81-83, from what I
have heard. But that's just me...<<

But in 78-83 (my prime Peel years) he was  deluged with indie releases -
because such things didn't exist before. And these  tended to be punk/post-punk.
By the late '80s you had equally independent  electro/dance stuff, so there was
a wider choice of new stuff that existed  outside the mainstream.

But then again, listening to early '80s shows, I'm  struck by the amount of
folk/blues/bluegrass etc that got played - not new  records, just some vareiety
between the punk/post-punk and reggae. There seemed  to be less of that in
later years, though by then I wasn't tuning in so  regularly.

Mark