[peel] FLAC it is then!

Roger Carruthers roger.carruthers@...
Wed Nov 28 21:17:24 CET 2007

Fwiw, there is also Apple¹s Lossless encoder that ships with
QuickTime/iTunes, and which definitely can be played Œon the fly¹, ie. you
don¹t have to decompress it first, but can play it as it is...
 But I repeat my earlier point, if your source is not a good one eg. a good
FM source onto R2R, DAT or possibly MD*, then you¹ve not much to lose by
using a decent quality lossy encoder (.mp3, .ogg etc.) with which you will
get a much better file size reduction.
Cheers
Roger

*if we¹re really into splitting hairs, MD uses ATRAC compression, which is
lossy, so although it sounds pretty good, it¹s already lost something, even
if you make a digital copy...