[peel] Lossy and Lossless Audio compression

markbursa@... markbursa@...
Wed Nov 28 18:11:50 CET 2007

>>Why should I convert to wav which doesn't support tagging,  takes up
twice the space of a lossless format, can easily be stored on  hard drive
instead of burning to countless CDRs etc etc  etc.<<

For the reasons stated - the ability to listen to the music on decent  hi-fi.
I usually delete the  converted WAVs after I've burned them,  keeping the
FLACs. If I ever need to do it again, it's a pretty quick  process.

>>And as for sound - well if one uses tinny speakers on their  PC they get
what they deserve. :)<<

My computer's a work tool. I spend all day working on  it. Standard PC
speakers are fine for auditioning stuff or editing sound waves  etc, but if I'm
going to listen to music I'd rather do it in more comfortable  surroundings than
my office!

Of course there'll come a time (pretty soon probably)  when we all have 100
Terrabyte HDs attached to our Hi-fis, networked to our  download machine's 10
terrabyte ultra-broadband -  but until then, WAV  files burned to CDRs are just
fine....

Like watching movies on your telephone, the concept of  your desktop PC being
your main music-playing device just seems  pointless!

Mark