[peel] Lossy and Lossless Audio compression

RobF robfleay@...
Wed Nov 28 18:22:11 CET 2007

I posted a couple of things on a private Torrent site a while back in 192 mp3 format and someone (I imagine he might refer to himself as an audiophile..) emailed me insisting that I should only post in FLAC format with a nice patronising justification.

I wrote back and told him that I couldn't understand what he was saying as his self-righteousness levels were causing distortion and increased anality in his lower frequencies was ruining my enjoyment of his email.

I have heard badly encoded mp3s where you can really notice the difference, but jeez - 99% of 192 mp3s that I listen too sound perfectly fine to my ears. Some of these people are verging on the OCD about it.