a request

Stuart Mchugh stuart@...
Wed Nov 14 11:00:38 CET 2007

> many thanks, Richard, you are too kind. Unlike the 4th review that's
> just gone up! It's by someone called J Atkins (are you out there?). I
> shouldn't quibble about a review that gives me 4 stars, but I cannot
> help feeling his complaints - which fill his text - about me "hardly,
> if at all" mentioning reggae in the late 70s era are not quite
> accurate or fair in the context of 37 years to cover in 50000 words
> only. I would love to have written more about the reggae sessions,
> but simply ran out of time to track down more musicians.

John himself was always complaining about the way the festive 50s
always ended up with no reggae in them and it sounds like the
reviewer is trying to reflect that age-old view. But I can imagine
that getting to chat with the reggae acts who did sessions - there
weren't that many - would be nigh on impossible. In fact, John
himself said when asked for his favourite session:
"Perhaps Culture - I wish they'd done more.
Reggae acts are amazingly unreliable - in fact Culture were the most
recent not to turn up. You try to explain to them that they'll be
playing to 1/2 million people, but that doesn't seem to be important
to them."

Stuart
editor@...