[peel] Bandwidth issues

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sun Nov 11 14:52:25 CET 2007

At 12:41 11/11/2007, you wrote:

>I'm getting a pretty feeble download rate on Torrent 1 of 17, despite there
>being 50 odd peers, and I would dearly like to get this one finished, so I
>can make some space for the others.
>I just noticed that the client I'm using, Transmission, has a default
>upload limit, which can be changed, so I've reset it so that I can share
>Torrent 2 (which is the one I agreed to keep up) more effectively.
>I was just wondering therefore, if anyone seeding Torrent 1 might care to
>do likewise, if their client has such a feature...?
>If I understand correctly, upping your upload rate should not effect your
>download rate - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
>Sadly, a colleague got busted at work not so long ago for file sharing, so
>I'm now limited to using my home machine for this kind of activity. I am
>leaving it running more or less night and day, but still looking at ETA's
>measured in days rather than hours :-(

You are not alone in this.  In these days of Acceptable User Agreements
it's ISPs that are biggest restriction on speeds.  Either banning P2P
downloads completely at certain times or throttling them back
very badly.  I've been downloading the 1st two torrents with ambitions
to go to 17 soon and at the moment it's galloping along at a massive
4.2kb/s.  At times its been up to 20 or 30 but that's as high as it's been
- it works out at about a week per 4.4G torrent going every night but
not during the day except at weekends
We just have to be patient and so do the seeds