Peelenium

ken garner ken_garner@...
Thu Nov 1 23:39:36 CET 2007

I've now found the time to go through the list of audio files and
tracks on that torrent listing posted here for the Peelenium, and
thought I should acknowledge straight up (before someone else tells
me!) that there are a small number of discrepancies between those
listings and the master PEELENIUM list I got from show producer of
the time Anita Kamath and assistant lynntheofficejunior macarthy, and
which readers will therefore find in THE PEEL SESSIONS book. There
are 2 minor errors it has alerted me to in my book, which I now
discover I had correct in my copy but which got formatted wrong and I
missed on the pdf proofs, which I read on a laptop sitting in the
market place at Vevey on the shores of Lake Geneva on my summer
holiday (we just ran out of time for hard copy proofs). In my defence
I spotted many other such glitches, but missed these: 1931, title
is 'Oh Donna Clara'; 1939, title is 'I Don't Know'. There also
appears to be a disagreement over whose version of 'Silver Dollar'
was played in 1950 - script says Eve Young, torrent says Teresa
Brewer, who wrote it.

These, however, are minor matters compared to the following. Can
someone help me as to the provenance and form of these audio files:
are they, in other words, genuine complete recordings from off air,
including Peel's back announce of the records featured? I do not have
the time or patience to work out how to download these things and how
to listen to them myself - baffled old hack tries to insert C90 in
laptop USB slot, etc - and I have no idea who is right, but we may be
able to sort this fairly easily, for several of the respective shows
just happen to be ones in the BBC archive. I shall forward this
message to Radio 1 archivist Hannah as well as Anita and see if
anything pops up. And some of you might know too. OK, here we go:

Peelenium for...

1962
TX Mon 25/10/99 (in BBC archive)
TORRENT SAYS IT WAS:
Elvis Presley - Return to Sender
Marvin Gaye - Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
Cliff Richard & The Shadows - We Say Yeah
Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry
BUT THIRD TRACK BY CLIFF RICHARD IS MISSING FROM SCRIPT/MY BOOK: WAS
IT PLAYED? SCRIPT SUGGESTS ONLY 3 TRACKS FOR 62...

1978
TX Tue 30/11/99
TORRENT AND MASTER LIST AGREE ON THESE 4 TRACKS:
Magazine - Shot By Both Sides
The Rezillos - I Can't Stand My Baby
Culture - See Them A Come
The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
BUT TORRENT ALSO HAS A 5TH TRACK:
Prince Far I - No More War PROBABLY FROM HIS PEEL SESSION?

1984
TX Tue 14/12/99, or possibly Wed 15/12/99 (in archive)
TORRENT SAYS IT WAS:
The Mighty Wah - Come Back
The Fall - Lay Of The Land
Half Pint - Money Man Skank
BUT SCRIPTS DO NOT LIST HALF PINT BUT HAVE INSTEAD AS 3RD TRACK Billy
Bragg - Between the Wars
The Smiths - Reel Around The Fountain

1985
TX Wed 15/12/99 (in BBC archive) or possibly Th 16/12/99
TORRENT SAYS IT WAS:
The Jesus And Mary Chain - Never Understand
Billy Bragg - Between the Wars
Roxanne shante - The Queen Of Rox
The Wedding Present - Go Out and Get 'em Boy!
BUT INSTEAD OF THE LAST THREE TRACKS, THE MASTER LIST SAYS IT WAS:
Gut Of The Quantifier The Fall
I'm In Pittsburgh & It's Raining Vibes
IE 3 TRACKS ONLY FOR THIS YEAR

1986
TX Th 16/12/99, or possibly Tues 21/12/99 (in archive)
TORRENT SAYS IT WAS:
Salt 'N Pepa - Tramp
Half Man Half Biscuit - Trumpton Riots
Billy Bragg - Levi Stubbs' Tears
Culture - Capture Rasta
BUT MASTER LIST HAS INSTEAD OF SALT N PEPA 'Bournemouth Runner' by
THE FALL

so what really happened?

ken