[peel] Re: Peelenium

Phil Edwards festive50@...
Fri Nov 2 01:12:07 CET 2007

Oh dear Ken!
Here we go again.
I was planning on putting my tapes back in order this weekend after digging
out various tapes for "that damned book" {:�)
So I'll have a look and see if I have the relevant shows.
Phil
P.S.
Received the books today, will get cheque off to you this weekend.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: peel@yahoogroups.com [mailto:peel@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of ken
garner
  Sent: 01 November 2007 22:40
  To: peel@yahoogroups.com
  Subject: [peel] Re: Peelenium

  I've now found the time to go through the list of audio files and
  tracks on that torrent listing posted here for the Peelenium, and
  thought I should acknowledge straight up (before someone else tells
  me!) that there are a small number of discrepancies between those
  listings and the master PEELENIUM list I got from show producer of
  the time Anita Kamath and assistant lynntheofficejunior macarthy, and
  which readers will therefore find in THE PEEL SESSIONS book. There
  are 2 minor errors it has alerted me to in my book, which I now
  discover I had correct in my copy but which got formatted wrong and I
  missed on the pdf proofs, which I read on a laptop sitting in the
  market place at Vevey on the shores of Lake Geneva on my summer
  holiday (we just ran out of time for hard copy proofs). In my defence
  I spotted many other such glitches, but missed these: 1931, title
  is 'Oh Donna Clara'; 1939, title is 'I Don't Know'. There also
  appears to be a disagreement over whose version of 'Silver Dollar'
  was played in 1950 - script says Eve Young, torrent says Teresa
  Brewer, who wrote it.

  These, however, are minor matters compared to the following. Can
  someone help me as to the provenance and form of these audio files:
  are they, in other words, genuine complete recordings from off air,
  including Peel's back announce of the records featured? I do not have
  the time or patience to work out how to download these things and how
  to listen to them myself - baffled old hack tries to insert C90 in
  laptop USB slot, etc - and I have no idea who is right, but we may be
  able to sort this fairly easily, for several of the respective shows
  just happen to be ones in the BBC archive. I shall forward this
  message to Radio 1 archivist Hannah as well as Anita and see if
  anything pops up. And some of you might know too. OK, here we go:

  Peelenium for...

  1962
  TX Mon 25/10/99 (in BBC archive)
  TORRENT SAYS IT WAS:
  Elvis Presley - Return to Sender
  Marvin Gaye - Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
  Cliff Richard & The Shadows - We Say Yeah
  Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry
  BUT THIRD TRACK BY CLIFF RICHARD IS MISSING FROM SCRIPT/MY BOOK: WAS
  IT PLAYED? SCRIPT SUGGESTS ONLY 3 TRACKS FOR 62...

  1978
  TX Tue 30/11/99
  TORRENT AND MASTER LIST AGREE ON THESE 4 TRACKS:
  Magazine - Shot By Both Sides
  The Rezillos - I Can't Stand My Baby
  Culture - See Them A Come
  The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
  BUT TORRENT ALSO HAS A 5TH TRACK:
  Prince Far I - No More War PROBABLY FROM HIS PEEL SESSION?

  1984
  TX Tue 14/12/99, or possibly Wed 15/12/99 (in archive)
  TORRENT SAYS IT WAS:
  The Mighty Wah - Come Back
  The Fall - Lay Of The Land
  Half Pint - Money Man Skank
  BUT SCRIPTS DO NOT LIST HALF PINT BUT HAVE INSTEAD AS 3RD TRACK Billy
  Bragg - Between the Wars
  The Smiths - Reel Around The Fountain

  1985
  TX Wed 15/12/99 (in BBC archive) or possibly Th 16/12/99
  TORRENT SAYS IT WAS:
  The Jesus And Mary Chain - Never Understand
  Billy Bragg - Between the Wars
  Roxanne shante - The Queen Of Rox
  The Wedding Present - Go Out and Get 'em Boy!
  BUT INSTEAD OF THE LAST THREE TRACKS, THE MASTER LIST SAYS IT WAS:
  Gut Of The Quantifier The Fall
  I'm In Pittsburgh & It's Raining Vibes
  IE 3 TRACKS ONLY FOR THIS YEAR

  1986
  TX Th 16/12/99, or possibly Tues 21/12/99 (in archive)
  TORRENT SAYS IT WAS:
  Salt 'N Pepa - Tramp
  Half Man Half Biscuit - Trumpton Riots
  Billy Bragg - Levi Stubbs' Tears
  Culture - Capture Rasta
  BUT MASTER LIST HAS INSTEAD OF SALT N PEPA 'Bournemouth Runner' by
  THE FALL

  so what really happened?

  ken