Tubular Bells TX Top Gear 29/5/73

grang354 colin_ellis@...
Sat Jun 23 12:02:11 CEST 2007

I'm not usually inclined to believe anything R. Branson says - but I
wonder if there's some truth in this? At first I thought it was
another version of the myth that JP in his early days "played albums
all the way through" if he liked them - he never did, of course, due
to needletime restrictions - but by 1973 there wasn't so much
interesting new stuff around. I do remember hearing JP play Tubular
Bells, but can't remember if it was just one side of the album or
both. I wasn't very impressed, but it was a piece of music that
demanded to be "taken seriously", so Peel may well have played all
of it for that reason alone!

I also have a tape from 1975 with Oldfield's little song "On
Horseback" followed by JP saying, "And that's Mike Oldfield's new
album Ommadawn - both sides of it..." And he did play
Dylan's "Desire" in full in Jan. '76, so who knows...

Colin

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Webster" <paul@...> wrote:

> Here is what Richard Branson had to say about it in his
autobiography
> (Losing My Viginity - ISBN 978-0-7535-1020-9 - pages 125-127 in
paperback)

> For the first two weeks, sales of Tubular Bells were stillborn.
Then I
> invited John Peel over to Alberta* for lunch. We had known each
other since
> I had interviewed him for Student**. He had also started his own
record
> label, Dandelion. He was the only person who played serious rock
music on
> the radio, and his show was our only chance of winning air time
for Tubular
> Bells. We all had lunch on Alberta and then settled down on the
sofas. I put
> on Tubular Bells. He was amazed.
> 'I've never heard anything like it.' John finally said.
> Later that week we listened to John Peel's laconic voice coming
out of the
> radio. I was sitting on the deck of the houseboat with Mike
Oldfield and
> everyone from Virgin.
> 'Tonight I'm not going to play a whole lot of records. I'm just
going to
> play you one by a young compose called Mike Oldfield. It's his
first record
> and it's called Tubular Bells. I've never heard anything like it
in my life.
> It's released by Virgin, a brand new record label and it was
recorded at
> Virgin's own studios in Oxfordshire. You'll never forget this.'
> With that, Tubular Bells started. I was lying on the sofa.
Everyone was
> lounging around in deep armchairs or on the rug, and we passed
round beer
> and wine, cigarettes and joints. I tried to relax. I could see
everyone else
> lying there totally spellbound by the music. But I kept worrying.
I find it
> impossible to stop my brain from churning through all the ideas and
> possibilities facing me at any given moment.. I wondered how many
people
> were listening to The John Peel Show, how many of those would go
out and buy
> Tubular Bells the next day; whether they would wait until Saturday
or would
> have forgotten about it by then.

> But Tubular Bells was extraordinary; something must happen from
tonight's
> broadcast. Virgin would never be able to afford to buy such a
length of
> radio time to advertise it.

> All the next day the phones rang with orders from record shops for
Tubular
> Bells. As well as choosing to break all traditions by playing it
in its
> entirety, John Peel reviewed Tubular Bells for The Listener.
>  "On the all too frequent occasions when I'm told that a record by
> contemporary rock musician is a work of 'lasting importance' I
tend to reach
> for my hat and head for the wide open spaces. Today these experts
would
> probably tell you that in twenty years time collectors will still
be
> enthusing over the records of such weighty bands as Yes and
Emerson, Lake
> and Palmer. I'm ready to bet you a few shillings that Yes and ELP
will have
> vanished from the memory of all but the most stubborn and that the
Gary
> Glitters and Sweets of no lasting value will be regarded as
representing the
> true sound of the 1970s.
>  Having said that, I'm going to tell you about a new recording of
such
> strength, energy and real beauty that to me it represents the first
> breakthrough into history that any musician regarded primarily as
a rock
> musician has made. Mike Oldfield ..."
>

> *Alberta - Branson's houseboat
> **Student - Branson's magazine
>
> Paul Webster
Behalf Of ken
> > garner
> > Sent: 21 June 2007 01:19
> > To: peel@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [peel] Tubular Bells TX Top Gear 29/5/73
> >

> > Here's a nutty Q for you all. The myth is that Peel played
Tubular