[peel] Tubular Bells TX Top Gear 29/5/73

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Thu Jun 21 17:03:18 CEST 2007

At 10:46 21/06/2007, you wrote:

>One thing i do remember is the 25th Aniversary of TB in 1987 Mike
>Oldfield do a session version of TB truncated to 15-20 mins, with
>John Peel as MC in recognition of his
>contribution to it's popularity, though the track (or rather
>Oldfield) was deemed to be 'too important' to be broadcast in Peel's
>late night spot and it went out in a staurday afternoon
>show instead - possibly the resurected Johnny Walker show, Peel
>mentioned it and some of the history re him and TB on his own show
>at the time and was bemused by the whole
>thing being moved to Walker's show (it might have even been used as
>part of the launch of Walker's afternoon show and the 'new R1 line
>up' - but i could be making that up).

Mathematics are a bit out here   25th anniversary of Tubular Bells
would be 1998
Oldfield did do a session version for Nicky Campbell in 1989   (he
had the late night
midweek spot then when Peel was at the weekend)
By the late 80s I think you'd need a machine gun to make
Peel play anything by Oldfield - times and tastes change

martinw