Whilst on the subject of...

ken garner ken_garner@...
Fri Dec 14 22:00:38 CET 2007

thanks, graham, for kind words...

...but I'm sorry, I know nothing at all about those
virgin store shows, and I haven't even heard them, although I think
they might be on those 17 DVDs somewhere (?).

As I explained in my preface to In Session Tonight, although I can
date my listening to september 1975, October 77 thru to end of 82 are
pretty blank to me personally (alert readers will spot that 80-82 are
rather briskly dealt with in the book's main text!). I was too busy
being a student and getting (latterly) heavily into disco and funk.
Then I found myself living on my own and returned to the fold by
accident (Jensen's, and Peel's R1 shows, came on BBC Radio London's
frequency at 8pm after Alex Pascal's Black Londoners nightly show,
which I loved) in time for the Smiths' first session in 83.

Anyway, I suspect he did those shows for virgin stores because he was
pretty peeved at losing the friday night to the Friday Rock Show at
the end of 78, and also needed the money. The Sunday Request show
Peel got instead at R1, which Sheila talks about in Margrave, was
actually only a one-third gig in early 1980 (the show was rotated
between Peel, Gambo and Stu Coleman by producer Bernie Andrews, after
Annie Nightingale got a fri night show) and this only ran for 3
months anyway I now discover (yes, the brief entry about this in the
shows index is wrong, sorry, I made the mistake of trusting Margrave
and a nostalgia website). Do we know how many he may have done for
Virgin Radio in all?

And so was it also about this time that Peel was on Radio Luxembourg
as well? The general location of the sentence about this in Margrave
(p 404) suggests it may have been around the start of the eighties.
Anyone know anything about or have any recordings of those? Now they
would be curious to hear...

ken