AS I ROVED OUT - more on Peel's folk music shows

ken garner ken_garner@...
Thu Dec 13 23:12:23 CET 2007

I am sure several of us have already checked out the Peel folk series
of 6 half-hour shows from 1999 which johnpeeleveryday told us were
posted up at Fades In Slowly, originally recorded by someone called
only Chris (hello out there? thanks!). They are very enjoyable and
zip along making the history come alive, and I have to confess they
are a total revelation to me as to many others: I had no idea
these existed - I was working as a radio critic in 1999 so how the
hell did I miss them?! Anyway, I was prompted to do a bit of digging
about what when and where, and with the help of R1 archivist Hannah
and a bit of web research have come up with the following production
and broadcast details (they are in the main BBC archive, but not
catalogued, bizarrely):

W 25/8/99 - W 29/9/99
BBC Radio 2
10-10.30pm
AS I ROVED OUT: A CENTURY OF FOLK MUSIC
Presented by John Peel
Produced by John Leonard
A Smooth Operations production

Hannah has also kindly sent me the faxed pdfs of the running order
details which she found the archive had in the computer, so if anyone
is keen to know the full details of any of the tracks and where they
come from, just ask me here

Ken