What is the most ancient Peel recording in existance?

Guy Brown guyanthonybrown@...
Tue Mar 28 02:33:20 CEST 2006

I was working my way through some MP3s forwarded from
a contact in the UK and I realized that I was
listening to the oldest extant Peel recording that I
have in my collection. Saturday July 1st 1967 at 3PM
in the afternoon on Radio London. This is not a
'Perfumed Garden' rather a regular Sat afternnon show.
Its curious because its, sort of, a joint co-hosting
with Keith Skues. The music is mostly regular Radio
London Top 40 stuff: Hollies, Roy Orbison, John Walker
(Walker Bros), but our man does get a little
enthusiastic when he plays Doors 'Light My Fire'. It
is also full of commercials, including one for a
record shop in Norfolk, that Peel claims is the only
one he had ever produced himself - lots of psych in
the background and a strange voice (can it be him
doing his best Radio London announcer voice??). Anyway
the tape has had the music removed so it'd be a good
reconstruction job of the kind that I've previously
performed for the 5CD last night Perfumed Garden epic
and a couple of others. Probably take me a while to
round up good copies of some of those Top 40
obscurities played that night. But finally there
should be about 1 hour of this radio show. Drop me a
note off list if this sparks anyone's curiosity.

But my real question is - are there any earlier
surviving Peel recordings, anything from the San
Bernardino era, or Dallas stints? Love to hear them if
there are. GUY