[peel] What is the most ancient Peel recording in existance?

Paul Bryant pbryant98@...
Tue Mar 28 09:25:31 CEST 2006

--- Guy Brown <guyanthonybrown@...> wrote:
> But my real question is - are there any earlier
> surviving Peel recordings, anything from the San
> Bernardino era, or Dallas stints? Love to hear them
> if
> there are. GUY

Yes, certainly. One of our list members sent me a cd
of Peel recently consisting of only Peel chat and on
one of these sections he plays a recording of himself
from Dallas (I think) which must be the earliest. In
this recording he's not a deejay, he's an Englishman
with a collection of unusual records which turn out to
be blues and R&B. He plays a couple of these records
but mostly witters on about how he got them in the
famous strangulated public school voice which the
later Peel mocks mercilessly. The section lasts about
10 minutes or so. Date not given - 1962?

pb