Peel day HMHB

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Thu Sep 22 15:19:52 CEST 2005

>>  I don't want to upset anyone, but at the time I just didn't
>  > like the whole C86 style. This includes HMHB of course.
>
>While it's true that HMHB appeared on the NME C86 tape it's debatable
>whether they were ever part of the C86 "style".  Mention C86 "style" and
>I think more in terms of The Pastels, Shop Assistants, Sarah records and
>badly written fanzines with free lollipops or hair grips.  I don't think
>HMHB ever fitted in with any of that.

  very true - 'C86' as a phrase has come to mean that jangly pop thing
(the BMX Bandits even called an album after it) but so much of the
stuff on that compilation was very far -removed from that sound - the
Ron Johnson stuff (Big Flame etc), Bogshed, Age of Chance, McCarthy...
Ironically the most 'C86' thing on there in that twee sense was
self-styled rock behemoths Primal Scream!