[peel] Re: John's Record Box

festive50@... festive50@...
Sun Oct 30 01:54:24 CEST 2005

> The correct term for this kind of thing is "Guilty
> Pleasures", of which I have dozens. I guess the way of
> telling in this post-modernist ironic age which
> pleasure is actually guilty is - if your pal came in
> the room would you switch it off? Answering my own
> question, no, I wouldn't switch off the Shadows or
> Dusty Springfield, but The Seekers' Carnival is Over
> and the Spice Girls Who Do you Think You are might
> well be consigned to a discreet muted silence.

Hmmmm. Good point Paul.

I must admit, I'm "as pure as the driven snow" in this category, with
regards to my initial foray into record buying at the tender age of 11-13
(No "long haired lover from Liverpool" for me there".
ie. Louis Louie - The Kingsmen.
Shortly followed by very early Stones, Yardbirds, Motown, Dylan.
However, and this is much much worse. After discovering "Uncle John" and
making such sublime purchases as a couple of Beefheart, Soft Machine and
Can albums and numerous of that ilk. I had 2 serious lapses into
mediocrity in the mid '70s and early '80s.
The 1st was due to my ex and my actual listening to and liking her latter
day Genesis albums(we're talking "Wind and Wuthering" and "A Trick of the
Tail" here).
The second was circa 1983 and the purchase of one of the 1st CD players
and a lack of record shops in the vicinity and being limited to a
selection of about 30 titles, half being classical and half Pop/Rock and
for my sins bought a Sting album and a U2 album.
Phew, what a relief getting that off my chest after all these years.
I'll understand if I get kicked off the group after such an awful confession.
LOL
Phil