Interview with Sheila

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Sat Oct 8 15:00:47 CEST 2005

For the benefit of non-UK readers, the Telegraph is
a very traditional, right-wing British newspaper.
I guess the irony is because Peely represented a
liberal, left-of-centre lifestyle more suited to the
Guardian paper.
I thought it was a huge mistake for JP to do "Home
Truths" for so long. It was / is boring, Telegraph-esque
and mainly aimed at middle-aged women ! Tom Robinson
was doing it today - the lure of money gets everyone
eventually, perhaps. Maybe HT could be better if it was
edited better to cut the waffle and self-indulgence ....

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, John Bravin <john.bravin@p...> wrote:

> There is quite a long interview with Sheila in today's Daily
Telegraph
> (ooh the irony....).
>
> It's clearly a trailer for the launch of Margrave of the Marshes,
which
> will be serialised from tomorrow in the Sunday Telegraph (ooh even
more
> irony...)
>
> Some very touching bits:
>
> In the last years of his life, Sheila says, John was "happier and
more
> contented" than she had ever seen him. Her only concern was over
his
> health. A year before his death, his Radio 1 programme was shifted,
yet
> again, to a later time - 11pm-1am. "He was very tired, and I was
worried
> about him. I said: 'I can't believe you're not going to complain.'
But
> he said he'd be fine. He was just relieved he was still on the
radio."

> You can read it on line at

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml;jsessionid=TYB2MK1D4SMH5QFI
QMFSM5WAVCBQ0JVC?xml=/arts/2005/10/08/bopeel_int08.xml